In order to import your previous communication and to build up your database it is essential that you have configured your email. Go to the inbox and provide SpinOffice the correct IMAP settings of your email account. Multiple accounts can be added, please add them via menu item Administration -> Email -> Email settings.
In the free Limited edition we only synchronize the last 30 days of your inbox, sent items and your trash folder. In the Pro edition all email history is being fetched.
5.1 Configuring your email
SpinOffice will help you via a wizard in the inbox where you can enter the proper account credentials and incoming mail server settings (IMAP) from the mail account(s). Until your email has been configured correctly, SpinOffice will show you the following popup every time you open your inbox:
Enter your email address and password and click on ‘Connect’. SpinOffice will try to find the proper server settings. If the settings are not found, please click on ‘Configure manually’ and we will help you to try to find the proper mail server settings:
Select your account type and click on the 'Test access’ button to try to connect. At the bottom of this screen a message will appear with the test result. Keep testing until the above shown green check (see above) is shown and SpInOffice has a successful connection. Click on 'Save' to finish.
Once you have clicked on ‘Save' we will keep you informed of the status in the inbox and by email if it takes a long time to import your email messages, for instance if there are 2500 messages in your received and sent folder.
As soon as SpinOffice is connected, all messages from the last 30 days will be imported into your inbox. Sending emails is not a problem at all, all outgoing messages go though our mail server.
If any account information is incorrect, we will inform you about the type of error and the configuration wizard will remain in your inbox.
Important: If you don’t know your IMAP settings or you don’t succeed, please do save any (incorrect) settings so we have some information to use in order to try to help you!
5.2 Sending emails from out of the contact card
Within SpinOffice, sending an email is of course possible via the 'Compose' option in the inbox. But besides that, it is very easy to send emails from the contact card:
- Find the person you would like to send a message to, via the search box in the top left corner. This ensures that the email will be created including the correct contact information (email address and salutation) and that the email will end-up in the archive of this contact.
- Double click on the email address stated in the CONTACT DETAILS section on the right or click on ‘Email' in the toolbar.
- An existing email template can also be selected by clicking on the small arrow next to the email icon in the toolbar. In the drop-down menu which will appear you can select your template.
- A new message window will appear. In the nexyt paragraph we will explain the screen layout.
- After composing an email, click on ‘Send’ and the message will be stored in the contact’s archive.
5.3 Compose new email message; screen layout
When creating a new email the screen is showing as follows.
Most of the options in email message screen will be clear, we will discuss a few. First the menu items:
Internal: when using SpinOffice with multiple users, the option to send internal messages to colleagues.
Address book: select multiple contacts to add, also from your favorites lists that you created.
Attachment: upload a local file or select a file that is already stored in any SpinOffice archive of this particular or another contact. If present, choose the file you want to attach and move it downwards. Drag & Drop local files into this screen is also possible; as attachment to the mail or embed into the message.
Now the options in the salutation part:
From: Select the email address you want to use for sending. Manage them via Administration -> Email -> From addresses.
To: Select any contact in the database you want to send the message to.
Cc/Bcc: Once you add any Cc address, the Bcc row will instantly appear too.
Contact: a fast way to link existing contacts to your message. Note, any additional added contacts do not receive this message!! So here you are not selecting recipients.
Folder: link the message to an existing folder. (More info about folders in chapter 8)
Default email template: you can select another email template if available.
When you have finished composing the message, click on ‘Send’ in the top left corner. The email will be displayed in your sent items and in the contact‘s archive.
5.4 Managing email templates
In SpinOffice it is possible to create email templates.
- Go to menu item Administration -> Email -> Email templates or click on the arrow next to ‘Email’ in the toolbar on the contact card screen and select ‘Manage email templates’.
- Now you have the ability to create new templates via ‘New’. Fill in a new template with default fields e.g. «My Email», «My first name», «My last name». Your job title is in default «My Info1».
- Choose ‘Edit’ to set the subject, some preferences and to add attachments.
- And determine the template tab that the template should be saved under.
- Click on ‘Save’ when finished and close this template builder section. The template can be used after you have refreshed SpinOffice.
5.5 Personal information for your email signature
Go to menu item Administration -> Personal settings to complete your own contact information. Most of the information can be used as mail-merge field in the email template builder (Administration -> Email -> Email templates). So make sure you completely fill in your profile.
If you upload your company logo, it will be automatically added to the default email template.
5.6 Action types
Last menu item in the Email templates screen is ‘Action types’. In this section you define the template to use for each action. What should be the template for sending an email, for forwarding an email and for replying? And which template to use for incoming and outgoing call reports.