3.1 Screen layout
The main application screen is the contact card with all contact related information. As we mentioned before, you can compare this screen to an old-fashioned rolodex card index. Only this one is interactive, smart and always up-to-date!
The contact card contains contact information and many other characteristics. A contact is always classified in a certain category, we call this a contact type. Examples are for instance a customer, prospect, vendor, supplier, company or private contact. The fields and labels on a card are arranged on the basis of this contact type.
In the following paragraphs we will discuss all the smart features that are to be found on the main contact screen. But first we will start with an explanation of the main components.
SpinOffice’s main screen, the contact card, is divided into four parts.
Part 1: The contact card
Here you find all contact related information. Any field can be edited and used as a filter. The labels and format of the contact card can be modified via menu item Administration -> Contact type. In the following paragraphs we will explain the features that are related to this part of the contact card.
Part 2: Extra contact-related information
Additional information is placed here, for instance keywords to filter on, interrelations, extra memo space and extra contact information that is less important and does not need to be seen instantly upon opening. We will also explain the meaning of these tabs later in this chapter.
Part 3: The contact list
On the left of the screen you will find a complete overview of all the contacts in your database. At the top you see the search box. Your search results will be shown directly and can be selected. Click on the ‘x’ icon to undo your search. Contacts are arranged alphabetically but can be found using first name, last name, company name or email address. Use the 'hamburger' icon to change the order of your contacts.
Part 4: Contact's dashboard
On the right of the screen you will find the contact's dashboard. With every contact card that you visit in SpinOffice, you can see at a glance what is involved with this contact. It contains not only items that are meant for you, but also those of your colleagues. The dashboard differs for each contact in the database.
Is the dashboard not showning up in your database? Then your screen resolution is unfortunately too low and only part 3. the contact list is shown.
Read the following FAQ to learn everything about the contact's dashboard.
3.2 Explanation of labels & fields on the contact card
All text labels and fields can be personalized for each contact type created. So a prospect’s contact card may be different from a supplier or prospect. Because you probably would like to store different kinds of information for each contact type.
Adjust contact type card labels and fields via menu item Administration -> Contact type. Select the contact type to see the layout of the fields and labels. We will briefly discuss the fields that require some comments:
- Company name: commonly used as Company name field. (This is the 'Line1’ field in Administration -> Contact type)
- Address line2: can be used as Attn. as accompanying text.
- Address line3: is an extra address line, but isn’t visible for relatively small resolution screens. Via menu item Administration -> CRM preferences -> General this field can be managed by checking/unchecking ‘Add Company line3 field’.
- Street/number: speaks for itself. Via menu item Administration -> CRM preferences -> General the street number can be added to the street field. (Uncheck 'Add Street number field’).
- City/State/Zip code: default 'US State’ field is shown, disable this field via Administration -> CRM preferences -> General and uncheck 'Add US State field’.
- Job title (= Info1): default we have set job title here, but the label can be adjusted. Go to Administration -> Contact type and select the contact type for which this label should have another name. Field 'Info1' represents the job title field.
- Department / Interested in (= Info2): is an extra line and is not visible for relatively low resolution screens. Go to Administration -> Contact type and select the contact type for which this label should be changed. Field 'Info2' represents the extra info field. If you adjust the label here, it will directly change on main screen.
- Last name: consists of two fields, the second field is meant for prefix.
- First name: consists of two fields, the second field is meant for initials.
- Date of birth: consists of two fields, in the second field the current age is displayed.
- Salutation: default we have set three options, one informal (Hi) and two formal (Dear Mr and Dear Ms) options. This determines the salutation of an email to this person. If you select 'Hi' as salutation, the email salutation for this person will be 'Hi [first name],’. If you choose 'Dear Mr’ or 'Dear Ms’ the person’s last name will be used as their email salutation. Manage the salutation via the menu item Administration -> Salutation.
- Debtor number: is an extra info field. Go to Administration -> Contact type and select the contact type for which this label should be changed. Field 'Number1' represents this field. If you adjust the label here, it will change directly on the main screen.
- Creditor number: is also an extra info field. Go to Administration -> Contact type and select the contact type for which this label should be changed. Field 'Number2' represents this field.
- Contact type: this field indicates the type of relationship and as a result also the layout and color of the card.
- Account Manager: your name will be shown here. When using SpinOffice with multiple users you can allocate contacts to any colleague.
- Customer/Prospect since: is an extra date field. Go to Administration -> Contact type and select the contact type for which this label should be changed. Field 'Customer since' represents this field.
- Active checkbox: when unchecked the contact won’t appear in search results in SpinOffice. Only checked contacts will be synced when enabled.
- Profile picture: upload a profile picture here (max size: 300M).
- Multiple Extra info fields: these can be filled with any information you want. Go to Administration -> Contact type and select the contact type of which these labels should be changed.
On the right, all contact details like telephone numbers, fax numbers, websites and email addresses are stored. Websites and email addresses are clickable. If you click on an email address, a new blank email message will open. On click on a website URL, you will be taken to the website in your default web browser.
3.3 Adding new contacts
In SpinOffice you can add your relationships in several ways (imported or manually added) in different quantities (multiple or individual) and at different locations. SpinOffice offers the following.
3.3.1. Importing multiple existing contacts
Import your business and personal contacts from various sources into SpinOffice CRM. Which sources are available? See the options below.
You will find the import options at your Home Dashboard, the Contacts widget hamburger icon or via the Contacts screen, than menu option Extra -> Import -> Contacts.
All imported contacts instantly end up neatly in your contact list.
This option is available for Mac users only. Once you click on the button, SpinOffice imports all your contacts including their contact details. On the mobile iOS app, the option is in right top corner.
Office 365 Contacts:
At the touch of a button all contacts, including contact details, addresses and notes are imported into your CRM. You connect your Office 365 account once and SpinOffice does the rest! All your contacts from Office 365 instantly end up neatly in your contact list.
From .CSV or .XLS file:
Select the option ‘.CSV, .XLS or .XSLX format’ and upload your data file from your local computer. You only have to make a match between the data from the Excel columns and the proper field in SpinOffice. SpinOffice helps you as much as possible in this process. This way we make it a simple and convenient step.
Please define the contact type too. If not defined they will all get the contact type 'Import' in SpinOffice. It is possible to mass change this afterwards in case it should be different.
Note: Use for import of the country field into SpinOffice the two-letter ISO country code in your Excel file. For a complete list of all codes: https://countrycode.org.
In the Pro version you're able to connect Mailchimp by providing a Mailchimp API Key and pick a mailing list to import.
3.3.2. Adding individual new contact
- Via the ‘+’ icon at the top of the contact list on the left. The following window appears.
Pay attention to the first field ‘Contact type’. If you change this field, other fields and labels can change. This is because, as previously stated, contact cards differ per contact type. At least a company name or last name is a required field when adding contacts.
- Via your Inbox: if you receive an email from an unknown sender that you would like to add to SpinOffice, just click on the question mark icon. The same popup as referred to above will be displayed.
- Via the menu: option New -> Contact and the same popup appears.
3.4 Editing name & address information
By default, all fields on a contact card are locked. To unlock and edit a contact’s card, click on any field and select ‘Edit’ in the menu that will appear. All fields are now editable.
When you have finished editing just continue working. All the modifications you made are automatically saved.
3.5 Adding, editing & deleting contact details
On the right, under first tab item CONTACT DETAILS, all contact information like telephone numbers, fax numbers, websites and email addresses are stored.
How to add contact details
- Click on the '+' icon to add any contact details.
- Add an email address, phone number, website URL or choose 'Custom' for a fax number, Skype or other.
- SpinOffice asks you to give specific information about the input, that will be mentioned as 'Description'.
- If you uncheck ‘Default’ this new item will be stored under OTHER NUMBERS.
- If you check ‘Private’ this new entry will be hidden from any other database users. If the new item is an email address, all emails from this address will be hidden from other users.
- Click on ‘Save’ to finish.
Important: The first email address mentioned under CONTACT DETAILS will be the default address used for sending individual emails and for mass emails.
To move another email address as default, just use the right-click on the email address you want to move to the top and select 'Move up'. See the example below.
How to edit contact details
- Click once on the contact info item which you would like to adjust.
- Click on the 'gear wheel' icon (or use right-click 'Edit') to edit the contact information item.
- When done, click on ‘Save’ button to finish.
How to delete contact details
- Click once on the contact info item which you would like to delete.
- Click on the '-' icon (or use right-click 'Delete') to delete the contact information item.
- Confirmation is requested.
- If you check ‘And unlink this email address from this contact’ all communication in the contact’s archive will disappear as well. Otherwise it will be saved in the background.
- Click on ‘Yes’ to confirm the removal.
Websites and email addresses are clickable. If you click on an email address, a new blank email message will open. If you click on a website address, you will be taken to the website in your default web browser.
3.6 Deleting & Merging contacts
3.6.1 Deleting contacts
There are various options to delete contacts: an individual in the database, all contacts of a certain contact type or a filtered group of contacts.
Deleting a single contact in the database
- Go to the contact card of the individual you want to delete
- Go to menu option Extra -> Delete contacts.
- Select ‘Delete only this individual contact’.
- When you check the option ‘Delete the contact’s complete archive too’ the archive will not be restored in case you add the person again in the future.
- Click on the ‘Delete contacts’ button to confirm the action.
Deleting all contacts of one contact type
- Go to any person that belongs to the contact type you want to delete all contacts for.
- Go to menu-option Extra -> Delete contacts.
- Select ‘Delete contacts with specified contact type’.
- When you check the option ‘Delete the contact’s complete archive too’ the archive will not be restored in case you add the person again in the future.
- Click on the ‘Delete contacts’ button to confirm the action.
Deleting contacts based on a filter
- Filter all contacts that should be deleted (see chapter 3.8 how to do that).
- Click on the ‘Options’ button above the filter result.
- Choose ‘Delete filtered contacts’.
- Confirm the action.
3.6.2 Merging contacts
In SpinOffice there is the option to merge two contacts to one.
- Go to the contact card that you want to keep in the database.
- Go to menu option Extra -> Merge contacts.
- Find the duplicate contact in the database.
- Click ‘Save’ to add all contact details and the complete archive to the main contact.
3.7 Searching contacts
Use the search box on the left side to search any contact. All matching results are displayed directly when typing. Contacts are arranged alphabetically but can be found on first name and last name, company name or email address.
If you check the last item 'Enable Search when left-click on field (right-click remains Edit/ filter)’ in Administration -> CRM preferences -> CRM part you will also find a search box under left-click.
3.8 Filtering contacts
Filters allow you to obtain an overview of contacts that meet a certain search criteria. For example, would you like to have an overview of all your prospects, or of all customers that are located in the same country? Or do you want to send a mailing to all your former customers? You can filter on almost every field and you can also filter on filter. How do you do that? We will show you.
Let’s give an example! We would like to get an overview of all our clients, for instance to send a mailing:
- Go to a contact who which is a client.
- Click once on the contact type field ‘Client’ and choose ‘Filter on selected’.
- In the left column, instead of the contact list, all contacts are shown which match the filtered criteria contact type = Client. All matching contacts are arranged alphabetically.
- Remove individual contacts from filter via the ‘x’.
- Once you have made your filter you can send all of them a mailing or (via the 'Options' button) add them to a favorite group or check/uncheck a keyword for all.
Filters are a superbly powerful function in SpinOffice and they allow you to select contacts for personalized mailings or other mailings based on document templates.
Watch this tutorial in which we explain how to make selections and send group mailings.
3.9 Mass mailings based on filtersPro feature
The application gives the option to create an email template and send it to a filtered group of contacts. In the free version you can send 5 emails as group, with a Pro license you can sent 100 emails as batch.
To send a group mailing, follow the steps:
- Create an email template via Administration -> Email templates.
- Make your filter as described above. When all matching contacts are displayed in the left column you can create your mass email.
- Click on the arrow next to ‘Email’ in the toolbar menu.
- Select the created mail template.
- A popup ‘Create mass Emails’ appears and the process of creating drafts starts automatically.
- When the process is finished, go to the ‘Draft’ folder in your inbox.
- Use the right-click and select ‘Send all’ and your mass mailing will be send directly!
3.10 Mass contact change
When you want to change the contact type of multiple contacts or check/uncheck contacts for a certain keyword, there is a way to do this quick and easy. Fields on the contact card that can be changed in bulk, are the Contact type field, the Account Manager field, Info1-10 and the keywords under KEYWORDS tab.
Make the mass change as follows:
- Filter the contacts that need to have another value.
- Above the filter result on the left side an ‘Options’ button appears. Click on that.
- Choose ‘Mass contact change’
- A popup appear where you can select the field/keyword to change. The possible option what to change will be shown in that screen after you made your choice. Confirm by clicking on the ‘Change value for .... contacts’ button.
- And the option to ‘Move’ is also shown there. On click to move a value of a field/ keyword to one of the Info1-10 fields.
3.11 Contact types: customizing card formats
As we mentioned before in this chapter, contact cards can differ per contact type. Our philosophy is that you presumably want to store different kinds of information for the various types of relationship.
To manage and adjust the fields, labels and color of the contact card, please go to menu-option Administration -> Contact type where you can manage the different types:
Editing a current contact type: click twice on the type you wish to change. In the following example you see the card format of contact type ‘Prospect’.
Contact card fields and layout can now be adjusted. When finished, click on ‘Save’. The format of the card will be changed for all contacts of that specific contact type!
Creating a new contact type: click on ‘Add’ button in the previous main contact type window. A new empty card will be shown and can be filled and built from scratch. A frequently used way to create a new contact type is to copy an existing contact type: select one in the drop-down menu ‘Copy of’ in the left corner of this window when you have a new empty contact type open.
Read this FAQ too where we explain how to create new contact types.
3.12 Tab items below the contact card
On the lower part of main contacts screen SpinOffice provides more space for more background information about the contact. There are four tab items. Below we give more explanation.
3.12.1 Contacts tab
Related contacts (interrelations) are shown here. This can be colleagues, friends, business associates or other contacts in the database. It is even possible to add contacts that do not need to have a contact card.
To add a related relationship, use the ‘+’ icon at the bottom and choose one of following options:
- Link to Employer: create a 'parent-child' relationship by linking the contact where you are now to an existing company card in the database. Current contact becomes an employee directly after linking.
(Read this FAQ how it exactly works)
- Add employee: makes the contact where you are now the parent card and will add a new contact to the database as employee. The ‘Add contact’ popup will appear and a new contact can be added.
- Add interrelation link: a popup appears where you can search and select any contact to link with and then indicate the type of relationship between those two.
- Add unlinked contact: add contact details of to person that should not get a contact card and archive, but only to show their basic details. For instance family members, their IT partner, etc.
To edit a related contact, use the ‘gear wheel’ icon and the ‘-’ to remove the internal link. Only related employees and contacts are clickable, unlinked contacts are not.
3.12.2 Note tab
You can store additional information in this blank text box. Click once, choose ‘Edit’ and text can be added. The data is saved automatically when you leave the contact card, or if you use the right mouse click and choose ‘Lock edit’.
3.12.3 Extra info tabPro feature
Under this tab you have 4 extra info fields available in the free version and 20 extra info fields in the Pro version.
The fields can be used for saving extra information about the contact that you have in front of you and it is used for filter purpose. When any of the fields 'Info3’ up to ‘Info20’ are labeled for a certain contact type (in menu option Administration -> Contact type) the fields are shown and you can fill them for your contact. These fields commonly used for storing information that is not needed to see instantyly on the card. Thus for instance a contact's VAT number, bank account number, etc.
In your free Limited database, check for instance the EXTRA INFO tab information of Hugo van der Horst. We labeled for the contact type supplier the Info 3, 4 and 5 fields. This way you have more space to enter relevant contact information which does not necessarily need to be displayed on the contact card.
3.12.3 Keywords tabPro feature
Under this tab you have 8 keywords available in the free version and 40 keywords in the Pro version. Adjust the keywords via menu item Administration -> Keywords. Following screen appears:
After defining all the keywords in the database, you can tick and untick them via right-click 'Edit’ for any individual contact or for multiple contacts via the mass change option (see paragraph 3.10 above). In the Edit mode, all keyword can be tick and untick. All changes are automatically saved when you leave the contact card or if you use the right mouse click and choose ‘Lock edit’.
Use the keyword feature to classify and filter your contacts. You will really leap the benefits of this smart feature as soon as you use it frequently!
3.14 Synchronization of contacts
In both the free Limited and Pro edition it is possible to sync any contact in SpinOffice with your mobile devices via a CardDAV account. Please go to chapter 14 to read how to activate this.